A Ryukyu Eight Shrine born from sacred driftwood, now set on the wooded Tentozan hill in Naha's Onoyama Park.
Okino-gu, sometimes written Okinogu, is one of the Ryukyu Eight Shrines and one of the most quietly interesting in origin. It was first established in 1451, originally standing near what is now Naha Port, close to today's Asahibashi. In an age when sea travel was perilous, sailors and merchants would stop to pray for safe passage before setting out, and the king himself is said to have been among the first worshippers, making Okino-gu a guardian shrine of maritime safety for the kingdom.
The shrine's founding legend is tied to the sea in a literal way. According to the Ryukyu-koku Yuraiki of 1713, a piece of driftwood was discovered glowing mysteriously in Naha Port; taken as a divine sign, the sacred tree was enshrined as a protector of those who sailed. The shrine enshrines a group of deities including Tenjuku-meryugu, Tenryu, and Amekushin-otome, alongside the three Kumano gods that recur across the Eight Shrines, blending indigenous sea worship with imported Shinto tradition.
Like its counterparts, Okino-gu was burned down during the Second World War. In the difficult postwar years its location shifted several times before it was finally re-established in 1975 on Tentozan, a hill regarded as sacred since ancient times, within what is now Onoyama Park. That final move gave the shrine a settled, green setting on rising ground, wrapped in trees yet only minutes from the monorail.
The visiting experience is calm and undemanding. The shrine grounds are modest, with a worship hall, torii, and shaded paths, and the surrounding park adds space to walk. Because Okino-gu sits inside Onoyama Park, Naha's principal sports and recreation park, a visit naturally combines with a stroll among athletic facilities, lawns, and greenery, giving a pleasant local flavor rather than a purely touristic one. It is busiest at New Year for hatsumode and otherwise peaceful, a good place to slow down between busier Naha sights.
Highlights are the hilltop setting on sacred Tentozan, the maritime-guardian backstory that ties the shrine to Naha's seafaring past, and the easy, leafy approach through the park. The grounds are largely gentle and accessible, making this one of the least strenuous of the Eight Shrines to visit; most travelers spend around thirty minutes. Photography is welcome in the outer grounds.
Getting there is simple. Onoyama-koen Station on the Yui Monorail, Okinawa's only rail line, is about an eight-minute walk from the shrine, and clear park paths lead up the hill. Drivers can use the parking within Onoyama Park. There is no JR network or Shinkansen on Okinawa, so a JR Pass has no value here; IC cards are accepted on the monorail and local buses. Its excellent monorail access makes Okino-gu one of the most convenient Ryukyu Eight Shrines to fold into a Naha itinerary, ideal in the cooler morning or the softer light of late afternoon.
A local's tip
It sits inside Naha's main sports park, so pair the shrine with a stroll among the athletic grounds and greenery; it is one of the easiest Ryukyu Eight Shrines to reach by monorail.
Best time to visit
Morning or late afternoon, combined with Onoyama Park
Getting there
On the wooded Tentozan hill within Onoyama Park in Naha. Onoyama-koen Station on the Yui Monorail is about an 8-minute walk away. By car there is parking at Onoyama Park. No JR exists on Okinawa.
Good to know
- Parking
- Restrooms
Plan the whole trip offline
Okino-gu Shrine is one of many places in the Real Japan app — with turn-by-turn directions, nearby spots and full offline maps you can use with no signal.




